Hailey Dai's Daily Dose

Useful and amusing information about sex, sexual health, sexuality and all things sexy.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Rainbow Parties: Fact or Crap?

Adults like to get nervous about young people having sexual experiences. One of the latest things to get nervous about are rainbow parties. They're apparently oral sex parties that involve a number of girls each wearing a different shade of lipstick and giving head to one or many boys, so that by the end of the party, each boy has a "rainbow" around his penis. (Someone even went on Oprah to talk about the 'secret lives of teens' and rainbow parties came up! Gasp!)

I don't have evidence that these parties either exist or don't, but if I had to guess, I'd say this is a pile of crap.
First of all, I don't know how many of you out there have given head with lipstick on, but let me tell you something, it doesn't exactly stay on and it certainly doesn't form a perfect circle at the base of a penis. The actual logistics of creating a lipstick rainbow are complicated, to say the least.
The second thing that makes me wonder is the work of young adult fiction by Paul Ruditis called Rainbow Party. It's about exactly this type of party, and I can't help but wonder if this is a case of fiction being morphed into urban myth.

This book, in fact, is causing quite a stir in the book publishing world. Some are incensed at the subject matter, but some see pulling it from their shelves to be an act of censorship. Read the story here (Washington's Classical 103.5).

And if any of you know that rainbow parties actually are going down (pun!) in groups of young people in North America, please do let me know. I will don rainbow lipstick and eat all of my words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home