Hailey Dai's Daily Dose

Useful and amusing information about sex, sexual health, sexuality and all things sexy.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

“Honey, Do Your Jeans Look Short?”

You have GOT to check this out. This is unbelievable.
This is a government site — www.4parents.gov — set up by the Department of Health and Human Services to help parents talk to their kids about sex. Can you determine from this site what the American government thinks about sex? I don’t want to give it away, but here are two of my favorite morsels:

• “Delaying sex is a healthy choice for all teens. Even if teens never marry, the values created through abstinence such as respect, responsibility and self-control will benefit their future relationships.”
• "What if your teen has already had sex? Tell them it's not too late to stop having sex, that it's never too late to make healthy choices. They are worth it!”

Here are quotes from my favorite section, the “Conversation Starters” meant to help ease parents into talking about sex with their kids:
•“Your jeans are looking a little short! How much taller do you think you've grown since last year? More changes are going to happen. Do you know what some of those changes are?”
•“Some guys go out for a good time over the weekend, and end up with thousands of dollars taken out of their paychecks for the next 18 years. Do you know how that could happen?”
• “I heard that there was a wild party last weekend after the game. Have your friends been talking about it? Did you know that alcohol and drugs really increase the chances of having sex and getting a disease?”

Now, I’m all for parents and guardians informing kids about sex. In fact, I think that can be very important in developing healthy attitudes towards sexuality. And if people choose to abstain, they’re entitled to do so. But, I don’t agree with 4parents.gov’s approach or beliefs – I think this site is more harmful than helpful.

And don’t even get me started on the section called “The Facts”.

I’m not the only one who takes issue with this site. Check out these sources:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/294979p-252547c.html
Associated Press via http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/03/033105abstain.htm
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=45145 (Press Release)

1 Comments:

  • At 3:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just was browsing google for pictures of peter sarsgaard and I saw your article (Honey, do your jeans look short?), and I found it quite hilarious. Rock on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home